I have a kitchen confession. I don’t use my crock-pot that much and really don’t know what to make in it besides a hunk of meat. I know there are a meeelion posts and pins out there of things to cook in your crock-pot, maybe I’m just slow to catch on?
A friend mention cooking chicken breast in the crock-pot and having tender shredded chicken all week. So last week I gave it a try, and it is now my new favorite thing. Almost no effort on Sunday, and I had great snacks and dinners all week! The possibilities are endless…what would you make?
Add 4 large chicken breast to your crock-pot, season with S&P and cover with water or chicken broth. Turn on low, and 6 hours later take the chicken out and shred with two forks. Done! Things I made with my 4 cups of chicken breast:
- Chicken salad-use hummus and Greek yogurt as the dressing, mix in some crasins, celery and nuts, serve in pita pocket
- Chicken noodle soup-sautee celery, carrots, and herbs, add some chicken stock and chicken, serve over quinoa or pasta
- BBQ Chicken sandwich-mix chicken meat with favorite bottled BBQ sauce, serve on toasted bun
- Chicken quesadilla-add chicken, jalapenos, veggies and cheese to tortillas, brown on both sides in the skillet, top with yogurt/sour cream
- Jambalaya-add chicken, andouille sausage & shrimp to your favorite rice and Cajun seasonings
Other things I will be making in the future:
- Chicken tortilla soup
- Chicken tacos/enchiladas
- White chicken chili-green chilies and navy beans, top with cilantro and salsa
- Greek chicken pitas with feta, cucumbers and olives
- Skinny chicken pot pies
- Chicken, goat cheese, sun-dried tomato appetizer dip